The history of Mayura Station

The history of Mayura Station

First Established in 1845 by Samuel Davenport, Mayura Station was one of the first cattle and sheep stations in South Australia. 

At that time, Mayura Station was an immense property, extending from Tantanoola to Rendelsham.  A town was surveyed in 1870 and built on land previously owned by Mayura Station.  The town was named 'Millicent" after Millicent Short the daughter of the first Anglican Archbishop of Adelaide.

Mayura Station has been owned by the de Bruin family since the early 1980's, and became the home to some of Australia's first Full-blood Wagyu cattle with the importation of the second ever live shipment of Full-blood Japanese Black-haired Wagyu in 1998. 

Black-haired Wagyu are renown throughout the world as the highest quality beef producing cattle.

The cattle were imported from Mr Shogo Takeda one of Japan's premier Black-haired Wagyu farmers via America and represented a significant milestone in Australia's cattle producing history.  Beginning with a herd of 29 Full-blood Wagyu cattle, Mayura Station is now home to one of the largest Full-blood Wagyu cattle herds.